March 30, 2010

Newest Off-the-Side-of-the-Road Find

FYI--8 weeks after back surgery, while wearing heels, DO NOT (under any circumstances), pick up large pieces of furniture off the side of the road and lift them into your van alone.  

Driving home from church on Sunday, while my husband was working a 24 hour shift in the hospital, I spotted this:

It's solid wood and completely beautiful.  How could I just leave it there?  So I hopped out of my van, asked my kids to climb out for moral support, and proceeded to cram this thing into the back of the van.  How I did it, I do not know.  It seems completely impossible now that it's home.  But that's not the point--The point  is that I snagged this amazing piece of furniture for FREE!

I'm thinking that I'll probably take the doors off to use it as a bookshelf.  Or maybe we'll use it as a supply shelf in our Arts and Craft room.  I also want to paint it.  Maybe white, with some distressing to make it look older?  Really, though, I want to paint it a Robin's egg blue.  Wouldn't that be gorgeous?  Ideas?  Opinions?  I can't wait to get started!

7 comments:

  1. You are so BUSTED for doing that! Next time I see you, remind me to kick your butt (I'm sure that will make your back feel better :)

    It IS quite beautiful, however. I would probably have attempted the same thing. But how in the heck did you do that yourself?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see what you do with this! And I can't believe you managed to fit it into your van!
    Please check out my blog for a little bit of sunshine I've sent your way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. holy cow! gorgeous piece - lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily,

    Just read your comment about featuring my Chicks Dig me shirt on my blog. Sorry I am 12 years late on seeing it. YOUR shirt is WAY cute. Thanks for passing on my idea. You are the first one I have actually seen. I LOVE IT.

    Larissa
    Just Another Day in Paradise

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! This is a great find. I can see why you were tempted to stop and pick it up, though I'm not sure, either, how you did it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Where in the world were you?!? Robin egg blue? Definitely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE the Robin's Egg Blue idea!

    Also, a friend of mine has some shelves that I've always loved where the inside is painted, but not the outside (or maybe the outside is painted a different color? I can't remember). Here is a picture if you'd like to see:

    http://loveinstead.blogspot.com/2009/10/accident-waiting-to-happen.html

    Good luck! I'm so jealous!

    ReplyDelete

I can't wait to hear what you think!

Related Posts with Thumbnails