April 14, 2010

Placemat to Project Holder Folder


I am one of those people who has to write things down.  If it's not on paper, I will most likely forget about it.  Craft ideas are definitely among the things that float right out my ears into lala land, unless I write them down.  So I have been trying to come up with a good way to keep track of my ideas so that they don't disappear forever.  Post-it notes are a must have because I can stick them to fabric, furniture, paper, etc. when I have an idea for that particular item.  Pens are also important.  Lastly, a place to store all of the pictures and pages that I rip out of magazines.  Let me show you what I came up with!

Supplies:
Placemat
Button
Ribbon
Needle
Thread
Sewing Machine (Although this could definitely be done by hand!)

I got this unbelievable placemat on clearance at Target.  Less than three dollars!
Lay out your placemat, right side down.  Lay all of the items you'd like to store on top of the placemat.  Fold the bottom of the placemat up as high as you'd like it.  Pin the sides closed.
Place a pin between all of the items.
Sew the sides closed.  I just used a short straight stitch

Sew a straight line where you place each pin, between all of your items.  (Just sew as high as the fold, not all the way up the placemat.)

Fold your placemat closed.  I folded the left side in, then the right side over the top.  Place a button on the bottom side (or the side that is not the flap).

Sew the button on.

The smart thing here would be to use a thin piece of ribbon.  I, however, did not have a thin piece of ribbon.  Here's how to create it: Cut a piece of ribbon to the desired length.  Next cut it to the desired width.  Use a lighter to seal the ends and length.  Voila, a thin piece of ribbon.

Create a loop with your ribbon, criss-crossing the ends, large enough to fit over the button that you just sewed on.  Sew it on to the edge of the flap of your folded placemat.

You're done!


Literally a 15 minute project and just perfect for what I needed.  I'm so happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I can't wait to hear what you think!

Related Posts with Thumbnails